Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sarria to Portomarin

A very mist filled walk as until we stopped at 2pm the sun only peeked out once around noon. We left our pension at few minutes after 7am in total darkness and hiked the 1 KM up through town, having breakfast on the way through.

At 8am, just before day break, we were on the upper edge of town and a mass of probably 50 perigrinos went by, primarily new people doing the 100KM for the compestella. We were not used to having so many people on the trail.

We hiked 23 KM today with an ascent of 300 meters and about the same distance a steep descent at the end of the day. Both of us carried our packs today.

With it being so misty you mainly focused on the stone walls with all the moss, ferns, and birds. We had many robin like birds with us today. We passed through many small hamlets where cattle were being raised and for the first time saw some pigs. We had 2 cafe stops on the way in addition to breakfast so that helps me move along.

We are in Albergues Porto Santiago (29 € s) double room sharing bath room with 10 people. This is the best accommodation we could find. The lady in charge took care of washing and drying our clothes in the machines for the usual 6€ s. Once we had the laundry started we went to the Farmacia to get advice on my bites that were breaking out like chicken pox. She confirmed our suspicions of bed bugs and gave me some antihistamine pills and cream.

What is so funny is that in Triacastela David climbed into my twin bed with me saying he was getting bitten by bed bugs in his bed. I said it must be mosquitoes as I had heard one buzzing. He didn't get any bites in my bed but I sure did!

Lunch was at the main square near the church and I ran in to get our 2nd sello of the day. Now that we are within 100 KM we need 2 stamps per day. Unfortunately the church stamp took up 2 places! Drats as I had only enough squares to get to Santiago. I have a spare credential for us as now it looks like we will need it to put in a few more sellos.

Tomorrow we will play it by ear and see how far we can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment