Tuesday, August 18, 2009

C & O Canal Lock 10 Again

Monday August 17, 2009
Our second day out with full pack was a little slower than yesterday - actually David was almost dragging me home :)We did 11.5 miles in 4 hours and 42 minutes with 4 hours moving at 2.8 miles per hour and stopped 42 minutes pulling overall average down to 2.4 miles per hour. Again a very hot and humid day but I did have my new camel back with 1.5 liters in it and I drank it all such that I had no water for the last 1 1/2 hours. Also both David and I got blisters. David's was just an expansion of his previous one and mine I think was a result of changing my orthotic. I have "super feet" in my boots and have had since day one along with a Dr. Scholl's tri-comfort orthotics. Well as I had had the Dr. Scholl's in for over a year I decided to put in new ones. I did not have any hip or knee pain so definitely a good move but I did get a blister on the bottom of my heel. David has changed his boot liners to a pair of "super fee" and thinks he felt better as well.

We continue to examine the weight of our pack and keep trying to get it lighter and be sure we will have what we need. In Kay's narrative of the Camino she talks about "We’ve noticed for evening wear the french men wear a light wool knit pullover sweater, Bernard wears an ascot with a nicely pressed (at least the collar and cuffs) shirt underneath. The women don their walking gear & wear a skirt, blouse & colorful scarves." This of course lead to a discussion that we have no evening outfit so again redoing packing and changing things around. We even went to the sad extent of buying a kitchen scale so that we can weigh the items we are choosing between! We have of course now increased the amount of mole skin we are going to carry as so far we have been able to walk with blisters using mole skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment